Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Where to go from here

Howdy doo everybody!

It's been ages since I've really blogged. I am happy to say that I am a graduate of the Fashion Institute of Technology with an Associates Degree in Fashion Design. It's a goal that I'm am happy to have accomplished (even if the economy isn't being so kind to the fashion & entertainment industries at the moment)

School was tough. A lot of time and hard work. After it was all over I took a 4-week fashion-free break. No fashion news or magazines. No sewing, no knitting. I slept, I ate, I read books and I did a little travel. It was time off that I needed to reflect and relax.

Now I'm back and I'm trying to decide where I am going to go from here with this blog. I don't want to pick up where I left off. I really want to try and incorporate the things I have learned and my life changes over the past two years. Everything is not decided yet but I know that I want to go forward with a more fashion-forward approach to this whole thing. I want to focus on the fashion world, the design process, the details, etc. I want to design a collection of knitwear as well as regular clothing. I want to explore different techniques. And I want to use this space to keep track as well as share with whoever chooses to read.

I know I promised some patterns way back in January and I'm going to work on getting those out. I've got some new ideas going and I have a free knitting pattern in the works too. I also plan to move this blog to a more permanent space in the internet world and redesign it.

As a way to try a new technique and get myself re-acquainted with the simple joys of making something because "I choose to" and not because "I have to", I decide to try my hand at a crochet pattern. I want to understand how this whole thing really works because I want to add crochet designs to my arsenal.


This is the "Walking After Midnight" skirt from the book "Amazing Crochet Lace" by Doris Chin

I used Sonata cotton from Elann and worked it up in about a week and a half.


I like the yarn and the pattern was pretty straight forward. I've wanted to do this skirt ever since Christie did it a few years ago. I'm glad I did. I think crochet doesn't always translate into truly fashionable items but this skirt makes the cut.