Thursday, October 05, 2006

Sock HerStory

Lolly has initiated a round of storytelling. The story which we must tell is the history of our sock-making. I prefer to think of it as "her-story" and not history. So here is my sock her-story.


* When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?


My mother first started making socks and I didn't see the big deal in it. Making socks seemed like a wasted and expensive effort. It wasn't until I came across a pair of socks Wendy made that peaked my interest. I liked the yarn and with that yarn the only thing you could really make were socks.


* What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

I started my first pair of socks at my sister's graduation in June 2005. I read a few tutorials and gave it a go. Short row heel footies. I finished one didn't like the holes in my sock so I never finished that pair.

My first finished pair were out of some Knitpicks yarn my secret pal Sarah gave me (the red socks below). The are comfy and warm and have held up well. The yarn does tend to pill though.




* What would you have done differently?

I still had holes in the heel so I practiced my short rows on scrap yarn. I came up with my own little trick to eliminate the holes.

* Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
Short-row definitely. I like that it looks more like a store-bought sock. I don't like picking up stitches, so heel flaps are not an option.


* What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I like Claudia's Handpainted (the brown footies above) and Knitpicks sock yarn. I really like the colorways of Koigu but I'm not so in love with the yarn itself.

* Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I don't crochet much so definitely no crochet socks. I tried 2 circulars but stumbled upon the magic loop method by accident. I like working with dpns most. I'm trying some bamboo dpns but prefer the Bryspun plastics.


* How many pairs have you made?


I haven't made many pairs but last year's Socktoberfest really got me going. I've made 7 pairs total. I've made the 4 pairs pictured above. This pair out of some self-striping yarn I dyed myself.


One pair for my sister for Christmas


And this pair that I just finished for my G-ma

I mailed these off yesterday so I'm hoping that she'll like them.

I've even started another pair for her but these will be for Christmas.



And here's one more pic just for Gray La Gran. She bought the same Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport at the LYS and wanted to know how it knits up.



It has a great feel and will definitely be warm. Lorna's Laces is known for it's flash and pool effect. It looks like a swirl that snakes up the sock which isn't too bad.