Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Dear Saun,

Welcome to "Dear Saun". It's a little segment where people ask me to fix things and I act like I know what I'm doing.


Dear Saun,


Can you please help me? I took my favorite sweater to the dry cleaners and when I got it back there was a big hole. I'm so upset. Is there any way you can fix it?

Sincerly,
A Hole Lot of Tears




Dear Tears,

We will give it our best shot.


Let's examine our subject.




For such a small hole, that is a lot of yarn hanging. How did it happen?
Was it cut? It seems unlikely that the cut would be so precise.

What else could it be? Lets see what it is made out of



Acrylic. I think the culprit may be a wayward yarn join that has come undone. This means that our fix will have to involve a knot.




With the use of my trusty needle, I will draw the yarn back into the stitch pattern and knot the ends on the back side.




Voila!


Final note:
While a knitter should avoid using a knot, this is acrylic and there is no other way to rejoin the yarn that I know of. "Tears" drycleans this sweater so the cleaning process will unlikely pull apart the knot anytime soon.

Labels: