Monday, October 09, 2006

The magic



I got the urge to start something new and different last week. Sweaters and socks just weren't meeting my needs. I needed something outside my usual. I opted for the Swallowtail Shawl from the Interweave mag. The plan was just to start it and then put it down until November to finish it. What I didn't know is that there is some magic to the making of a shawl.

It's interesting how something that starts with 3 stitches can work it's way to this.



The way it grows is intriguing. After a few hours I didn't think I had much but I was half way through. I will say that the closer you get to the end the longer it takes. 230+ stitches is a lot more than you think. Overall the pattern was easy as long I paid close attention, but there were some purl-5-togethers that were a pain.

It's a very pretty shawl and I think the recipient will like it. I'm not one to wear shawls but I do think, in the future, they will be great for gift-giving.


Short-row trick

For those that have asked, if I get some good daylight this week, I'll take some pic to show my short-row trick.