Sunday, February 12, 2006

Live from the Village

Life in the village has been hectic for this Olympic knitter. Things got off to a rocky start but are progressing nicely now. Here is a quick recap so I can quickly get back to the main event.

Pre-Event Planning
I signed up for a free trial with NetFlix at about 11:30pm Thursday night. "War of the Worlds" and "Breakfast At Tiffanys" should arrive Saturday for Olympic viewing. The Tiger Footies were finished so that the toes could be toasty and pretty while I knit.



Day 1
There was a cast-on around 4pm EST and after 3 inches and a misread in the pattern, I had to rip it all out. I took a quick break to stock up on grocery store sushi and Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi. Knitting was further delayed to go to a viewing of the Raleigh production of the Vagina Monologues. It was a great show.

Day 2
If I were in an event for speed skating or bobsledding I would be disqualified for my second false start. I cast on again but realized that a change from an Addi Turbo US 2 (3.00mm) to a Plymouth Bamboo US 2(2.75mm)changed my row gauge drastically. Remember people, your equipment is everything. I ripped it out and cast on with a slightly larger Bamboo US 3 (3.25mm).

The NetFlix movies arrived and I proceeded to scare the crap out of myself by watching War of the Worlds. You can claim it is fiction if you want but who's to say something like this couldn't happen. Trepidation also set in with regards to my ability to finish this sweater in 16 days.



Day 3 The world awoke to the news that darling Michelle Kwon would not be skating for Team USA due to injury. It's sad but understandable. This fact helped to cast away all my fears and inspire me to work harder to finish this sweater. After another equipment change (back to the Addis) for speed and a quick run for fuel (Krispy Kremes - yum yum) I've settled in for some speed knitting and a little Breakfast At Tiffanys.

I'm now half way through the back piece of the Martha Cardigan. I will try to make the rounds later to all of your village locations to see the progress in your main events. Good luck all. Go Team USA!!!