Sunday, January 29, 2006

Knitting is pleasant

Most things I do in my life have a level of competitiveness. I was in high level classes in grade school, I competed locally and nationally in sports, I went to a competitive engineering school as one of the few women in my program and I now work for a competitive company in a department where I am the only women. For those reasons, I refuse to give in to the competitive-snobby nature of making clothes(sewing/knitting).

Making clothes is something that I LOVE. I've been doing it since I was 11 years old and I refuse to let anything ruin it for me. So while I mentioned that interesting incident in my last post, please know that it doesn't get me down. The good things that I have encountered with my sewing and knitting far out weigh the bad. Heck, I've met all of you...well not physically met.. but you get what I'm saying.

The good side of knitting is the thing I'm trying to impress upon the girls that I work with at the Girls Club. "Knitting is pleasant" was something that I started saying as a joke. One girl was saying "Ha Ha,look, I have more rows than you" and I countered with we aren't going to talk like that because (in my fake british Mary Poppins accent) "knitting is pleasant". Now the girls will use it anytime conversations stray or attitudes creep up.

So my new mantra is "Knitting is pleasant".

And because it is so pleasant I'm going to share with you some knitting loveliness straight from the UK.



It's the Glimmer kit from Kim Hargreaves .
I've been drooling over this for a long time and thanks to the generosity of my parents, this was another one of my Christmas presents. It took a little while to get to me because they were out of the color or Summer Tweed I wanted but Kim and her mother Kathleen kept me updated on the status of my order and sent it as promptly as they could. I really want to dive in but I'm going to hold off until after the Knitting Olympics.


I finished the latest design. Here is a preview.



I'm finishing up the details and the pattern should be posted Tuesday.


And before I go, Latoya Denise tagged me for the "4 Things" meme.

Four jobs in my life:

1. Software Engineer
2. Cell Phone 411 Operator: Ding! "Sprint..What city and state?"
3. Customer Service Rep for GMAC. " I'm sorry your car got repossesed sir (snicker, snicker) but you haven't paid your bill in 3 months. What did you expect?"
4. Sales Associate at JoAnn's (Employee discount. Enough said!)

Four movies I could watch over and over:

1. The Last Dragon
2. Chasing Liberty
3. Brown Sugar
4. Coming To America

Four places I have lived:

1. Cleveland, Oh
2. Rochester, NY
3. Atlanta, GA
4. Rochester, MN

Four places I have been on vacation:

1. New York City
2. Toronto
3. Miami
4. Las Vegas

Four websites I visit daily:

1. USAToday.com
2. Elann.com
3. yrnews.com
4. Newsgator - for all my daily blog reading.

Four of my favorite foods:

1. Ice cream
2. Red velvet cake
3. Potatoes (in any form)
4. Anything my grandmother/mother/aunts cook

Four places I'd rather be right now:

1. On a beach in Miami
2. New York City
3. Getting a massage
4. Anywhere with my friends

Four bloggers I am tagging:

How hasn't been tagged for this? If you haven't consider yourself tagged.