Monday, January 16, 2006

Kid Things, Grown Up Things.

Grown Up Thing

Sometimes I can do responsibly adult things instead of spending all of my money on knitting and sewing. This weekend I was an adult and went and bought my first toaster and crockpot.

Introducing Mr. Toast T. , Mr. T for short, and Crocker.


Here at Chez Saun all inanimate objects get a name and these are my two newest man servants. Crocker was a little rebellious and decided to ruin my first attempt at crockpot cooking. Disgusting doesn't even begin to describe it.

Kid Thing
After Crocker ruined Sunday dinner, I decided to play with the ice cream ball Mamacita got me for Christmas from Red Envelope . Great soft-serve in 15 minutes. Yum-Yum.



Grown Up Thing

I'm going to a get-together this weekend and the requested attire is "haute couture". In reality people won't be wearing runway fashions but they will be snazzy. I want to finally wear something I've made but none of my current knits fit the bill. I'm not in the mood to sew so I've come up with a knitted design. It's got some lace and will have a deep v-neck. I'll be wearing a cami under it but I like the idea of this very see-through sexy top. I'm using Patons Brillant yarn.




This is a pic of the back.

With the weather in the 60's and 70's I'm more likely to wear this than the fair isle sweater I was working on. I've set that aside. The lack of sweater weather keeps me from being motivated to knit with a wool/alpaca blend.


Kid Thing
I don't think I've ever mentioned it but last year I began volunteering at the Raleigh Girls Club . (It's part of the Boys & Girls Club , just a seperate building just for the girls.) I like volunteering. I do various things, homework help, play games, but I tend to help out in the craft room. Well it turns out that the girls want to learn to knit so guess who volunteered to teach them.

Last week was the first week of the official knitting club. Teaching them to cast-on was a mess so I just cast-on and got them started. One girl took to it instantly. A few others struggled a bit but they'll have it soon. Others just don't have the attention span. They want to be apart of the group but they don't know how to pay attention. It is a challenge but I'm determined.


And finally, I've been tagged by Kelly for the "5 weird habits" meme.


The first player of the game starts with the topic, "5 weird habits about yourself". People who get tagged need to write an entry about their five weird habits, as well as state this rule clearly. In the end you need to choose the next 5 people to be tagged, and link to their web-journals. Don't forget to leave a comment in their blog/journal that says "you have been tagged" and tell them to read yours.

1. Maybe not so weird but I eat my M&M's in order. This habit used to drive my mother crazy when I was a child. Dark brown, light brown, orange, yellow, red, blue, green. If I'm absolutely forced to eat them out of order I still must eat the green absolutely last.

2. I like to eat baking soda. I stick my finger in the box and then lick my finger. My grandma taught me to use it to settle an upset stomach. I just like the taste.

3. If I'm playing my favorite song , "So Fine" by Mint Condition, I must listen to it until the very end. I can't fast forward past it or turn it off in the middle. Even if I'm in the car and late for something I must finish the song.

4. I hate folding laundry. I will wash it but won't fold it. It can sit on the floor in my bedroom for weeks before I break down.

5. I have a fear of falling trees. When I was about 15 there was a crash in the middle of the night that woke up everybody in the house. The next morning I went down stairs to look out the window to see thermometer and forgot to put on my glasses. All I saw was this big blob that looked like a ship sitting in the front yard. The tree had fallen over. Luckily it fell aware from the house and cars. It was a huge tree. Freaked.me.out! I fear all storms and the possibility of falling trees. Can you say anxiety attack?

I'm not tagging anyone specific but if you want to do it , then you've been tagged.