Sunday, April 09, 2006

Fortunes and Fears

This is a fortune that I got a few weeks ago that really made me think.




In high school I wanted to be a fashion designer and a computer animator. Mamacita told me about the fickleness of the fashion industry and how I needed to get a "real" job first and then go into fashion on my own dime. She had no desire to support me into my 30s. I could see her rationale at the time so I majored in engineering instead.

For the last few years I've wanted to get back into fashion but I was without a clear direction and kind of afraid. As I sat in church today, the pastor talked about growth. He said that with growth comes challenges and fears and that in order to grow you have to face the challenges and overcome the fears. It was a timely message because this weekend I decided to face one of my fears. In this past year, I have really come to enjoy knitting and knitwear design and I have been toying with the idea of submitting to a major knitting mag. Despite praise from others, self-doubt can sometimes creep in. I could come up with a dozen reasons why I shouldn't do it until something clicked. I realized,"What do I have to lose?" If fashion design is the life I want, then I have to start somewhere. And as the fortune says... So I spent this weekend working on a few designs and swatches to submit by the end of this month. I won't say the name but would it really be that hard to guess?

That should explain the lack of actual progress on any of my other projects. I did get a change to do a few little upgrades to the look on this here blog. What do you think? It's nothing too high tech but I just needed a change of pace.