Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th of July.

Happy Independence Day to all my U.S. folks.

Long before there was knitting I spent most of my time sewing. I've actually been sewing since I was 11 years old when I got my first sewing machine. I learned by watching my mother and never took a lesson. Well actually, at age 13 I signed up for a class through the community services because I wanted to learn buttonholes and zippers. I finished my first dress in a week and when I asked the teacher about putting in a zipper she said she didn't know how to teach me and didn't think anyone would get that far. I never went back after that.
With my height and long arms, sewing has been my saving grace. And we won't even get into the cost-effectiveness of it all. Every dance, prom, party, I made my dress. I even remember when my mother refused to buy me this $250 Ralph Lauren Wool Toggle coat with a green tarten plaid lined hood, she took me out to this warehouse bought me $50 worth of wool and $10 dollars worth of green tarten plaid flannel. Everyone thought I bought that coat. I loved it.

All of this flooded back to me as I sat at my machine the past day or so. I need to sew more.

Yesterday I used the black/white cotton to make a halter dress. I used some black egyptian cotton stitched in white thread for a sash. This is McCall's M5040 pattern. This is no pattern for the sash,I just came up with it.



This morning I made this dress with my pink "windowpane" fabric. The pattern is Simplicity 4531.




I also finished this skirt which I had started a while ago. I'll probably wear this one today when I head out to see the Devil Wears Prada. I'm quite excited because Adrian Grenier is in it. Cute boys. New clothes. Plus it's my father's birthday. It's a good day.