Thursday, May 03, 2007

The mind and body

Knitting is many things. It is creative and stylish, but one thing it definitely is not is a a cardiovascular workout. The only thing that gets a workout is my wrists but no man I know goes around saying "Oooh girl, look at those sexy wrists". They're checking out everything else.

Truthfully, for me, it's not about the look so much as it is all-over health. I'm not in denial about my body shape. I will never again look like I did in high school. Age and metabolism have guaranteed that. What I want is general good health. Given my recent bouts of insect-induced sickness, I have decided to focus on my health and boosting my immune system. I want to make sure that I am eating right and getting a good amount of exercise.

Yesterday I went to the doctor for a general physical exam. I got all of my vaccinations and tests up to date. I also went out and bought some new multivitamins.

The other thing I have decided to do is better utilize this online tool.
SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet

This is a link to the SparkPeople.com website. It is an online health and wellness program that I was introduced to through my job. It is almost exactly the same as the Weight Watchers online program except it is absolutely FREE. They give you a diet plan in stages, help you track your calories and exercise, online motivators, goal-setting, send you emails/articles, and have an online community. It doesn't hurt to try it. Like I said, it's free.



Olga inquired as to what I was working on this weekend. This is one of the ideas that has been swimming in my head since February. It's a lacey top made from Knitpicks Shine Worsted that I'm making in the round. I became obsessed with finding this perfect shade of blue/azure during the beginning of Project Spectrum. Knitpicks was the only place I could find it. I came up with the main motif which right now I've nicknamed "The uterus". That's definitely not what plan to call it but right now the stupidity of calling it that makes me laugh.


I'm thinking I'll call it coração azul or corazón azul, which is "blue heart" in portuguese or spanish.