Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A look at Billie

Here's a glimpse at where it all began back in October......
I was working from home and an idea popped into my head. I took a break and began to sketch before it left my head. I didn't really think about it for a few weeks. I had to let the idea marinate. Later I saw the stitch pattern on a sweater in a Vogue magazine and knew I wanted to use it for this jacket.

Working this design was a little tricky. I started with a swatch (Sahara's wise voice rings true) but there was something my small swatch could not predict. This particular stitch pattern draws the fabric inward the more repeats you do. After some tinkering, I was able to get my measurements together.

It took a bit more yarn than I thought - 10 balls of Aurora 8. It's partially due to the fact that the wraps take up more. The collar, cuffs, and lower band are also done like a folded hem which uses more yarn.

I'm contemplating what to do about the pattern. I'm thinking that I'll add an option to make the jacket longer. This will probably make the jacket more wearable for the bustier, curvier girls. It'll be ready in a week or two.