Sunday, June 03, 2007

That's what friends are for

It's funny how technology has come to define my friendships. With my longtime "real-life" friends, we rarely and almost never communicate through email or text messages. We talk on the phone and see each other in person. Our relationships were forged in the physical realm and we tend to keep to that. Then there are my "innanet" friends. People for whom the friendships were started online. All of our interactions are through email, blogs, or text messages.

I've come to expect different things from the different sets of friends. For my real friends, I expect more physical interaction. You know... the normal things friends do like a phone call to see how I'm doing,picking me up from the airport, and doing the small things without me having to ask. If they started sending me only emails or text, I'd be upset. For my innanet friends all I expect are emails and texts and the occasional phone conversation.

I say all this because this past week, I learned a whole lot about my innanet friends and they surprised me more than I could have expected. I went to NYC on a mission to find something (more on that later), and discussed it with a few select people. Without having to ask, the great Sahara opened her home to me. She and Mr.K were so gracious since the cost of a hotel room would have run me about $1000. Carrie and Gina offered to help me in anyway possible. When I couldn't find what I was looking for on Thursday, I stopped by my innanet brother Dex's house. He went above and beyond the call of duty and put a call out to his friends to try and help me. One of his friends who I never ever met before even offered me a solution to my search. On top of all that, Sahara, arranged a SistahFriends sit & knit at Native in Harlem. I had a chance to meet Sherri, Chante , Shameka and Njoya, and so many more.

All of this love was so overwhelming and unexpected. My innanet friends did things for me that I would have never expected and for that I am so greatful and want to say THANK YOU!
This technology thing has brought me friends from unexpected places. It makes me want to meet each and every one of you.


Now onto some knitting content.


I can't really tell you about my mission just yet. I have a few loose ends to tie up and then maybe I can tell you on Wednesday. I can show you the few things I was able to pick up when I went by Purl in Soho. I got some Alchemy Silken Straw and a skein of Organic Savannah from The Fibre Co.

I only stopped by Purl because Tanis from Vogue Knitting suggested it. Did I forget to mention that I got a chance to visit the offices of Vogue Knitting/KnitSimple/Knit.1/Adorn. She gave me a tour and even showed me the yarn closet. It's like the famous "Vogue" closet but it's just yarn instead. It's huge!