Saturday, January 26, 2008

Laying low

I had these great hopes for how I was going to spend my break. Lots of knitting, sewing, and blogging. But of course things never turn out as planned. Instead I've been laying low and dealing with my issues. My apartment issues continue to rear their ugly little head so I'm trying to find a new apartment without much luck. (Do you know anyone in NYC with a good apartment to rent?) Then my aunt's health took a turn for the worse and I had to go back to Detroit for her funeral. The little time I did have I spent trying to keep my mind off of things.

I didn't get much knitting in. I couldn't maintain the concentration levels for that. Instead I spent much of my time sewing. Strangely enough, sewing doesn't take as much concentration as knitting. I guess because I've been doing it longer.

The first thing I made was a jean jacket.Then I made 2 dresses.

Also made a 2 pairs of skinny jeans (yes, I've caved to the skinny jean phenomenon) and a pair of straight leg jeans. I came up with a signature star pattern for my skinny jeans. It's the same star I use in my blog header and wear on a pendant. It's actually the adinkra symbol Nsorama.
Lastly I made this jean dress. All the other dresses were from patterns but this one I altered. I added the detailing at the the neck line and made puff sleeves. The neckline and sleeve cuffs are made with a pleated detail.

After working with all the denim my fingers were constantly blue. It actually reminded me of my freshman year of college when I was obsessed with denim. I would even paint my nails a denim blue color to match. It was pretty much all I wore until I hit my khaki phase in my sophomore year.

Classes start back Monday and I'm looking forward to it and dreading it all at the same time. I'm going to spend my last few school free hours doing some knitting.

That reminds me. I forgot to mention the books that I'm in have finally hit the shelves. I'm sure most of you have seen them already but if you haven't, check them out.


I have 2 dress patterns in this one

and a cowl neck nursing sweater in the other.