Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Mission Accomplished: Hello Cleveland!!!

Hello from Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

The secret mission I mentioned Friday is complete. I am now visiting my family and working from Cleveland for the week. It was only a secret because I was surprising my parents and my mother reads this. I drove from NC and they aren't really big on me driving long distances by myself.

My brother is on this side of the country (he lives in Seattle) and my cousin is home before he goes off to Iraq, so this a good time to visit. There was a family gathering Sunday and I popped in and surprised everyone. It was great. I got to see my grandmother, aunts, uncles, and cousins. And most importantly I ate like a fat rat! Many miles will be run when I get back to NC.

Now to the knitting content.

I've already fit in a few visits to some yarn shops. Mamacita and I went to And Sew On in Cleveland Heights and Fine Points on Saturday. The first shop is a needlecrafts shop so the the selection was small but nice. There was some nice K1C2 Frosting yarn on sale but required US2 needles and we all know I'm not a fan of the same needle gauge so it stayed at the shop.

Have you ever been to a store with a whole lot of nothing? That's how I feel about Fine Points. It's a nice shop, crammed full of yarn from every maker possible BUT there isn't enough of any one color to make anything. Not unless you want to look like Joseph in his Technicolor Dreamcoat . I also discovered that just looking at novelty yarn makes me itch. I like classic yarns and furry/fluffy/scruffy/feathery yarn makes me cringe.

I have some other tidbits about this place but I'll save it for tomorrow's segment of "Friendly Tips for Everyday Living".


I thought something was wrong with me because I couldn't find anything to buy at the first two shops. It just felt wrong. I made up for it with a quick trip to The Knitting Room in Woodmere. Look at the goodies...



Some SWTC Pheonix for half-price and a ball of Crystal Palace Shimmer. I am in LOVE with Shimmer. Great feel,weight,and shimmery without being scratchy. I've never seen it before and I'm trying to come up with something to make with it so I can go pick up more before I leave Sunday. I don't want to make any more shrugs/boleros. Maybe a drop-stitch scarf? Any ideas?